The Idle Rocks has been a part of the community of St. Mawes since 1913 when it was built on the site of the old local bakery.
Establishing itself as a luxury coastal hotel in the 1930’s many guests have happy memories from their time at the hotel and in St. Mawes.
Now over 100 years old, the new owners David and Karen Richards, have given the Idle Rocks a full and dramatic refurbishment, restoring it to its former glory of Cornish coastal luxury
The Idle Rocks Hotel was built on the site of the old St. Mawes Bakery and opened in 1913.
The hotel started attracting attention to itself as a luxury coastal hotel during the years before the Second World War including advertising in The Times.
Closing its doors temporarily at the end of the Second World War, The Idle Rocks was sold to join a small hotel chain. With St. Mawes being sold to the public as “a kind of British edition of St. Tropez on the Riviera” (The Times), the post-war austerity seemed to hold no place at the Idle Rocks!
Increasing the quality of the cuisine became a selling point with The Idle Rocks’ boasting a 2AA rosettes for culinary achievement, as the hotel offered “French cuisine and service provided by French Chefs and staff engaged on the Continent”, The Times, July 1954.
The Idle Rocks boat slipway was removed and the terrace extended along the entire front of the building. To boost the visitors, the hotel offered a no room charge if there was fog or snow to prove St Mawes was the warmest spot in England!
In 1976 The Idle Rocks was sold to the owners of the Lugger Hotel in Portloe. The Idle Rocks was refurbished and reopened in 1978.
In 1988 the Idle Rocks was sold once again, this time to Richardson Hotels. This included the development of a new extension wing, with six bedroom and a refurbishment of the restaurant.
In 2010, The Idle Rocks Hotel was purchased by David and Karen Richards. The Idle Rocks was closed on 31st October 2012 for a complete refurbishment and reopened on 1st July 2013.